Monday, December 1, 2008

Blacks won't think he's black enough. Whites won't think he's white enough. To humans, though, he'll be perfect. CRB

You won't find me often quoting myself, but how I explained some aspects of racism to A about J really summed it up nicely.

With the new president-elect -- who is half-white, as my friend Sue pointed out -- a new era of looking past skin color may have dawned on America. And, as Sue also pointed out, that means we have to stop looking at people as half-black or half-white or half-whatever; if we look at them as human first we'll get the best color image possible.

I haven't blogged in some time since the adoption was final. It had to all sink in for me. What I'd like to do now is tell the story of how we started this story.

Each day is a step on our path of life. Sometimes it's interesting to look back on how our paths led to where we are, to how we became ourselves.

Yesterday at Mass the reading was from Isaiah. Fr. Charlie tagged Isaiah as the prophet who was waiting for God, and said that if any of us had been waiting for God we could possibly relate to Isaiah. A and I looked at each other in our pew. The serman went on about Isaiah calling to God (Chapter 64 v. 8)
...We are the clay, you are the potter, we are all the work of your hand.

That, in a way, could mean that understanding the highest we were meant to be means finding happiness, truly becoming ourselves.

And it's true, when I've listened to the voice inside that tells me what I really want to do, and taken that cue, I've been happiest. Like the day I realized I wanted to adopt a child in 1996.

No comments: