Thursday, September 4, 2008

On the day that you were born the angels got together and decided to create a dream come true...~The Carpenters


So they sprinkled moondust in your hair

Of gold and starlight in your eyes of blue


How could Karen have known J would have golden hair and blue eyes?

Our friend Amy sang this song to all of her children when they were born-what a wonderful welcome into this world.

J may not have had such a warm welcome. His birth mother seemed proud of him as 'a little fighter', but admits she feels no connection to him and was never affectionate.

J was transferred within hours from the little hospital at which he was born to St. Joe's, which is the leading NICU in the area. (He was ten weeks early.)

St. Joe's has a program for these little ones that is gifted with 'nurturers'-volunteer adults, usually retired people, who come in on a regular basis. Their only job is to hold the little ones, sing to them, rock them, walk with them-to love on them, basically.

These angels saved J from a barren first month. He was so loved that first month, even before he had parents.

He had two main nurturers, Diane and Lee. We were blessed enough to meet both.

Diane kept a log for J, so we have a written record of this seemingly lost time. St. Joe's titles it 'Footsteps to my Future'.

"He was gripping my finger with awesome strength. Our little "man of steel" he is!"

They must have nicknamed him from that as the nurses and staff all called him "Mr. Man."

Lee was his other nurterer, a great bear of a man. The last time we saw him was when we were there to pick him up. He asked me if I'd gotten plenty of sleep as I wasn't going to get any for a long time. I said no, I was too excited. He said he didn't either. When I asked why, he said "I was sad I wasn't going to see J anymore. But I'm so glad he has a family now."

Today is J's first birthday.

We're so glad you were born, J.

2 comments:

CmentMixer said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Jack!
Cat, you made ma chere cry! Thank you for sharing your joy with us, sincerely.
Love,
The Ss

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. I'm all teary eyed right now.
I truly relate to your words.
My son was spent his first 10 months between a hospital and an orphanage. My daughter spend her first year in a hospital, and her second year in an orphanage. I write endless scripts of their beginning.. I keep thinking about that, trying to make sense.